We are seeking applicants to join our Purchasing Team based in Arusha, Tanzania at The School of St Jude. The School of St Jude is a charity funded school that provides a quality FREE education to approximately 1,600 primary and secondary children from the poorest communities in Arusha. Additionally, the school now provides employment to over 400 Tanzanians and purchases the essential goods required to run the school everyday from local people. The ripple effect is incredibly wide spread.
The Purchasing Team is responsible for all the purchasing of supplies for the day-to-day requirements of the school. Food is one of the priorities and requires someone who has a mature, firm and can-do manner to negotiate and deal with Tanzanians at food markets and with suppliers.
No purchasing experience is required but we are looking for someone who is confident in using their exceptional negotiation skills, can work well under pressure and the ability to think on your feet.
A commitment of at least 12 months is expected.
- Procuring food and supplies at various locations around Arusha on a daily basis
- Accurate accounts reconciliations on a daily basis
- Sourcing competitive suppliers based on quality, price and efficiency for all sections of the school
- Miscellaneous errands around town to pay bills, collect post, etc.
Requirements and Skills:
- Be physically fit and active
- Exceptional oral communication and negotiation skills
- Good skills in Microsoft Office
- Excellent time management skills, ability to work well under pressure and think on your feet
- Possess strength and drive, patience and tolerance and practicality whilst being efficient.
- Knowledge of or a willingness to learn Kiswahili.
To be a successful St Jude’s volunteers, you will:
- Be flexible, open-minded, tolerant and appreciate the complexities of working in a rapidly growing charity in a developing country
- Have a passion for our mission and a strong desire to make a positive difference performing a variety of tasks; from the mundane to the fun and interesting!
- Work well independently and as part of a team of Tanzanian staff and international volunteers
- Have good emotional and physical health and the energy and drive to take on new challenges
International volunteers receive a small, monthly stipend, which is enough to live on but not enough to fund travel around Africa. For further information regarding volunteering at The School of St Jude please refer to General Information about working at St Jude's
If you are interested in joining our team then send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications should include:
- A cover letter of application including how you meet the required skills and key responsibilities.
- A Curriculum Vitae/Resume
- Application Form [ Download MS Word Application Form | Download PDF Application Form ]